Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Liquor Store Blues

     Liquor Store Blues by Bruno Mars has recently been my anthem. At first, I really had no idea why i'd been listening to it over and over and over again, until I realized that everything, well almost everything, in the song had a little bit to do with my life.

Standing at this liquor store
Whiskey coming through my pores
Feeling like I run this whole block
 - Yeah, I've definitely been there. 2pm at a pub swearing you're going for lunch and then staying until 6pm just to make sure you're sober enough to drive home

Lotto tickets and cheap beer
That's why you can catch me here
Tryna scratch my way up to the top
 - Ok, not really this one...I hate losing

Cause my job's got me going nowhere
So I ain't got a thing to lose
Take me to a place where I don't care
This is me and my liquor store blues
 - By "my job" it was more of "my not job," but I did still feel like I was going absolutely nowhere. Searching for a job is a job within itself. Constant phone interviewss and regular interviews just speying out the same crap "I'd love to work for your company because of what you stand for." "Why no, I've never lost my temper at a customer."

I'll take one shot for my pain
One drag for my sorrow
Get messed up today
I'll be okay tomorrow
 - Pretty much 100%. Replace drag with "another shot," and this chorus is spot on. Tomorrow will always be "better."

Me and my guitar tonight
Singing to the city lights
Tryna live on more than what I got
 - Me and my vacuum tonight?? But the "trying to live on more than what I got" is pretty accurate.
Cause 68 cent

Just ain't gonna pay the rent so
I'll be out here til they call the cops
 - Or turn off my electricity


Then it just goes back to the chorus over and over. Anyway, I fucking love this song. I've felt so down on my luck and so unfortunate, that nothing really helps. And if it did help, it was only until I sober again.

Sidenote: I just realized I *seriously* sound like an alcoholic right now...

But back to the point, I can't wait until I finally get paychecks. I'm so thankful I have a job now, but until I can keep up with my bills, I'm still at rock bottom. At least I'll learn to make pretty sand castles out of dirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment